Thursday, October 16, 2014

Denim Quilt


This quilt was a really neat project for me.  My customer had started making it following a pattern from purlbee.  She asked me if I would be interested in finishing up the blocks for her and I offered to finish it all.  She sent me everything she had completed, the backing fabric and I went from there. 

You can see some in progress pics in this post.  The biggest challenge with the blocks was trying to come up with as many original combinations as possible.  The cool thing about the blocks is that you are using both the right and wrong side of the fabrics.  That's what gives it such nice depth and contrast.



It took me a bit to get all the blocks exactly how I wanted them but then the top went together nice and quick.  We decided to quilt it in the ditch.  There's so much texture with these fabrics that I thought any other quilting would just take away from that.




After it was done being quilted I made the binding.  Here's the icing on the cake part of this - the binding is the reverse side of the backing fabric cut on the bias.  So the stripes in the binding are diagonal against the vertical stripes of the backing and the horizontal and vertical stripes in the top.


I don't know if you can tell or not but my customer wanted to hand sew the binding to the back so I just machine stitched it to the front for her.  I apologize for the pictures - they don't do this quilt any justice at all.  It really has incredible depth and contrast and texture.


Because the denim is such a heavy-weight fabric this quilt is much more substantial feeling than my usual cotton quilts.  It will be just the thing for a cold fall afternoon.  I'm so glad I did this project because it is so different from my usual quilts.  It gave me some great ideas to use down the road.

~ Gold Shoe Girl ~

P.S.  If you liked this post please click the button to  Follow on Bloglovin for all my updates!!!

Linking up...

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Twinkle Twinkle Ticking & Toile


A quick panel quilt.  It's not often that I find a panel that I like so when I spotted this one I clicked it into my cart right away.



I bought it from fabric.com and it's called Nursery Rhyme Toile.  They had it in this soft brown and a pink too.

The panels are nice because they go together so quickly.  If you're in need of a quick gift or just feel like finishing something in an afternoon than this is for you.



I did the quilting in a loopy free motion pattern all over the toile part and then straight lines around the borders.  The toile features little children at play.  The verse in the border is twinkle twinkle little star.



The outer border is a terrific ticking stripe pattern.  The back and the binding are from a matching brown polka dots on a cream colored background.  



It turned out really lovely.  A nice departure from the brights and whites I've been working with lately.

And it is available in my etsy shop.  It's just perfect for a shower gift.

~ Gold Shoe Girl ~

P.S.  If you liked this post please click the button to   for all my updates!!!

Linking up...

Crazy Mom Quilts

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Denim Quilt In Progress


Today I'm working on finishing up a denim quilt for a customer.  She started the quilt but is now pregnant and super tired and asked for my assistance.  The project was too cool to pass up.

The pattern is from the purlbee.com.  They offer a ton of ideas and free patterns for quilts and knitting and crafts in addition to selling materials and kits and such.



I'm trying to get my arms around what to do next.  She had already done a few of the blocks so I need to decide which comes next.  

In the meanwhile, I'm still working on my mudroom floor.  I'm trying to undercut the door moldings so I can just slip the tiles underneath.  I'm doing it with a special handsaw because I'm too cheap to buy the power tool.  Needless to say it is taking me a while to get it done.  Only 2 more spots and then finally I'll be ready to lay tile.  

But I did get the cushion for the bench done!  It looks great although a little puffy.  I think it will calm down in time.



Originally I had wanted to do a cushion with piping but then quite honestly I got lazy.  I didn't want to make my own piping and the premade from the store was just too black.  So instead I took the easy breezy route and did her with one simple seam and 3 button tufts.  



Although I have to say the tufting was not as easy as I thought it would be - there may or may not be a few drops of my blood on that cushion:).  The fabric is Waverly Nassau Vine Toile Onyx.  I really do love it so I bought a few more yards for a matching project in the pantry.  I'll share more details on that in a bit.

Just a quick note on the cost for the cushion.  I was tempted to just get a premade cushion, however, it would have required a custom size and the cost would have been astronomical.  The standard size cushions from places like Pottery Barn, Ballard, and even Amazon were at least $100.  I spent $35 on the fabric, $10 for the stuffing and I had the buttons but let's say they were $2.  So that brings me to a total of $47.  The sewing was super easy straight line stitching.  Just something to keep in mind for those of you who might be inclined to diy.  This is a great project for diy.

~ Gold Shoe Girl ~

Linking up...

work in progress wednesday at freshly pieced
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...