Monday, March 26, 2012

Paper Flower Wreath

Or A Good Excuse to Watch an Entire Season of The Tudors



A couple of weeks ago I watched all the Downton Abbeys episodes in two or three days and since then I have been having withdrawl.  Well, we have amazon prime which gives us free streaming video and they were featuring The Tudors.  I never saw it when it first came out because I am too cheap to pay for extra cable stations.  In any event, amazon prime has a large selection of tv shows and movies and I can stream them on my computer or my Kindle Fire at my leisure for free.  

However, I cannot justify just sitting here staring at the screen so I decided to make something at the same time and this paper wreath was just the thing.  I had pinned this one from Handmade Weddings and decided to use their patterns and add some of my own touches as well.

  
I didn't have a wreath form on hand so I improvised with a cardboard box.  I traced around two large bowls and cut out the "form".  Then to cover up the unsightly parts I wrapped it with some twill tape I had saved from some old packaging.  I've noticed that more things are coming wrapped with twill tape or ribbon and usually there's a couple of yards.  I keep all these scraps in a little basket and then they come in handy for these types of projects.


After that was done I used the aforementioned patterns and started tracing and cutting out the flower shapes from my favorite scrapbook paper.  I bought it a year ago and it is a collection of blues and greens and tans.  It was nice to get it in a stack because I knew all the patterns would coordinate nicely.  I also used this particular paper on my Spring Garland last year.

I cut out a dozen or so flowers and then I started arranging and fixing them on the wreath using my glue gun.  Then I filled in any blank spots with additional flowers.  The key to this is the layering and the folding.  You want to fold the large flowers in the middle of the petals to make them stand up and then layer the patterns and colors.  I glued flowers on both the front and the back of the wreath to add depth.  


My wreath has about 40 different paper elements on it and it took me about 3-4 hours to complete.  It might have been faster it I wasn't so distracted by those naughty Tudors.


I also had to add a hanger to the back.  I did this with 2 paper clips stuck in a huge glob of hot glue.  Then I threaded a piece of ribbon through the paperclips to hang it on a nail.


I did free hand a lot of the smaller flowers.  The scrap paper I used also had some pre-printed flowers that I just cut out too.


I wanted to hang it in our bedroom but the icky wall color in there clashes with the blues in the wreath so for now it is in the kitchen hanging on the cupboard door.




It would probably look really great against some white cabinets - darn - our cabinet painter is so slow:)

~ Gold Shoe Girl ~
Enjoyed this post?  Get my posts automatically...Subscribe in a reader

or Subscribe to Gold Shoe Girl by Email.  



Linking UP....







5 comments:

  1. That is absolutely adorable! My front door feels naked now. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful wreath! I love the use of coordinating papers. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)


    Have a lovely week!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so pretty. I am looking forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas. Visiting you from Wow Us Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this wreath! And the Tudors. It can't get ANY better. Well, maybe creating this wreath, while watching the Tudors and eating chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have thought of the chocolate!!

      Delete

I love to hear from you. Please leave your thoughts, ideas, questions and comments. If you enjoyed this post be sure to sign up for my feed or get posts by email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...