Here's the whole ensemble...
The comforter is reversible and the light blue side goes perfectly with the new wall color. I was apprehensive that it would clash but it is just right. I paired it with new white sheets and the new pillows that I made. I didn't put an additional blanket on his beds because the comforter is really warm, and he also has a fuzzy fleece blanket that was made for him by his aunt that he likes to use.
Once I decided to make the shams I knew I wanted to do something a little special so using some leftover fabric from the curtains I made a monogram for each sham using the same technique from this post. The only difference was that I decided to edge each letter with a zigzag stitch. My son's initials are Z and B so I made one sham with each letter.
The shams are standard size with an envelope opening in the back and a 2 inch flange. It sounds fancy but it was super easy to make. There are a few tutorials out there so just google it and find one you like. I bought 4 yards of basic cotton fabric. There were 2 choices at our Joann's and I choose the heavier weave because I knew these might get more wear and tear in my son's room. The fabric was $8 a yard but like usual I used my coupon and got it for half off. So together both shams cost about $16 and I have about 1/2 yard of fabric leftover. Similar shams at Pottery Barn Kids were at least $60 for two.
You can see I didn't stop with the shams. I used some additional leftover curtain fabric to make 14 inch square accent pillows. They cost me nothing since I already had the fabric and the inserts in my stash and they took all of 15 minutes to make.
Then I got a little crazy and decided to make just one more set of pillows. I had the leftover navy fabric from the shams, and I started looking through my stash and found the burlap. I thought they would make great combination for a boy's room.
I did a google search for train coloring pages and used Word to make the images the size I wanted. Then I printed the images on cardstock, cut them out, and used them to make my appliques. I then ironed the applique onto the burlap. I was worried that they wouldn't bond well to the burlap or the glue would seep through the burlap onto the ironing board but luckily it worked really nicely. I then sewed the burlap front to a matching piece of navy fabric, stuffed it, and finished the seam. Again another free set of pillows.
They turned out super cute and my son really likes them. I was a little afraid that he might think they were too babyish but I think because I left them simple and used the burlap they will work for at least a few more years.
So my cost for the new bedding was $80 for the comforters, $30 for the sheets, and $16 for the pillows. Not too bad. My son is really proud of his room now and his brother and sister are both jealous. I have a feeling the next few weeks I may be making it up to them:).
~Gold Shoe Girl~
Don't be left out!! Get my posts automatically...Subscribe in a reader
or Subscribe to Gold Shoe Girl by Email.