We made over my oldest son's room because we bought him a set of bunk beds. I thought it would be a good idea to paint before we set up the bunks and besides, as you'll see, the room really needed some freshening up.
Here are a couple of before shots. These were taken during our home inspection so the furniture is not ours but it gives you an idea of the tan and blue paint job that was there. The only window treatment was a set of mini blinds.
And here's the other side of the room. The kids were with us during the home inspection and they each wanted their picture in their new rooms so that is why my oldest son is looking at himself in their lamp.
And here is the ceiling fan. This house does get really warm on the second floor so every bedroom has one of these beauties but besides not being very attractive it was not the best idea to leave it up with new bunk beds. I just knew there would be superheroes and matchbox cars flying off of the blades.
So without further ado here are some after pictures. I had the worst time with some of these turning out really dark no matter what time of day I took them so bear with me and I'll try to get better ones when the new bedding comes in.
The new paint color is Valspar's lighthouse shadows matched to Sherwin Williams Duration paint. It is a subtle cool grey-blue shade. I bought the Sherwin Williams because I had a coupon and I prefer the Sherwin Williams for coverage. I did do two coats in order to effectively cover the previous darker colors that were on the wall. I also painted all the trim Pure White by Sherwin Williams. I love white trim. I hate painting trim - it takes forever especially the windows. It makes such a difference against your paint colors.
I made the curtains myself from decorator fabric I bought at Joann's. It was on sale -don't ever buy fabric there unless it is on sale or you have a coupon - so I bought 7 yards for $50. I had enough to make the 2 panels and I have plenty left over to make accent pillows and such for the beds. For those of you still afraid of your sewing machines it took me less time to sew those curtains than to wash & dry the fabric. I did not line these curtains because they face the back yard and because we also have blinds for privacy on this window.
Here are the bunk beds that started this whole transformation. They are from Home Gallery Furniture which is an internet company. I did a lot of price and quality comparisons and this was the best choice for us - plus it was free delivery and set up which made my husband happy. I'm not that fond of the cherry color but it matched the dresser we already had and I didn't want to replace that too.
I love the new light fixtures. I wanted each bunk to be able to have their own light for bedtime reading but we were not going to hard wire anything. I finally found these on amazon and they are the perfect style for a boy's room. Each light has it's own on/off switch and they come with the cord covers. I would have preferred to place them on the wall at the end of the bunk but they wouldn't fit.
This is his bookcase. We've had this cheap laminate bookcase since college and had previously painted it navy to match his old twin bed. The paint job really helps to make it seem like a nicer piece of furniture than it is.
In our previous homes my husband hung a shelf with brackets that ran around the perimeter of the room and we set up his train to run around the shelf. We haven't gotten to that here so I just put some of the more interesting train cars on the shelves for display.
We tried to make his room feel a little more grown up but still display his train things without it feeling overdone. I think by using the striped curtain fabric instead of a train-themed choice was key. We are also getting simple navy blue comforters (if jcp ever gets them in stock again) to keep things cohesive and easily changeable if he ever gets sick of trains.
I think 3 things were key to making his room feel bigger even though we added a huge piece of furniture: painting the room a solid color from floor to ceiling allows your eye to travel all the way up the wall without stopping like it did with the old paint job, the striped curtains were purposely hung high and wide to make the window seem taller and bigger, and replacing the ceiling fan with a smaller flush-mount light. It is amazing how much of a difference replacing that huge monstrosity made in the overall feeling of the room. Now I know the boob light is not the most attractive thing but for $10 it is way better visually than the fan.
Since I painted his closet door I thought I would switch out the door knob too. It's the little details like these that make the room feel special to my son.
So for those that will want to know this redo came in at about $1100. Now I know that seems like a lot but the bunks were the biggest chunk of the budget. Everything else (the 3 light fixtures, fabric, paint, door knobs, etc) came in just over $200.
As soon as I get some bedding I'll give some updates on that but for now I think we are done.
Now maybe I'll get back to those kitchen cabinets. We'll see:)
~Gold Shoe Girl~
Don't be left out!! Get my posts automatically...Subscribe in a reader
or Subscribe to Gold Shoe Girl by Email.