Wednesday, November 16, 2011

One Thing Leads to Another

Do you ever find that changing one small little thing in a room ends up in an avalanche of redecorating?  Well that is what has happened to me in our dining room.  It all started with the new chandelier.  Once that was up it really emphasized the fact the we needed prettier window treatments so I made new drapes that you can see here.  


Then once the drapes were up they just did not go well with the old area rug.  Now to be honest I had a feeling that might happen and luckily I had a gift card from Pottery Barn that came in handy.  I ordered the Paris Diamond Rug and it arrived a few days ago.  It looks lovely - so much better than the old rug, which I did adore, but it just did not match and it was worn out.  


Quick aside - I put the old rug up on craigslist super cheap just because I wanted it gone quick. My plan was to put it to the curb if it didn't sell by garbage day.  Within 12 hours a woman responded to my ad and picked up the rug a day later.  She gave me $40 for it, not bad for something that was worn and falling apart, and she is putting it in a store at the local mall.  Apparently they are going for a shabby chic look and the rug will fit in perfect.  I thought that was kinda neat.  Then I thought maybe I should have charged more:)


Once the new rug was in place it was terribly obvious that I would have to recover the dining room chairs.  I am not too ashamed to admit they were just plain beyond help disgustingly stained.  We bought the set 10+ years ago and between parties, kids, and daily use they just became very unsightly.  So I took my rug profit and headed to the fabric store.  After a few hours of work the chairs look as elegant as the rest of the dining room.  


Now I know that was long introduction to get to the point of this post which is really the new dining room chair seats so here's the reward for your patience.  This is the before shot.  Yuk.






Here's the after...




I think they look unbelievable.  I am so happy with how they turned out.  Now they match the rest of the room.  The one below shows a side by side comparison.  Not only is the new one clean but the fabric is just more elegant than the plain white.




I bought my fabric at Joann's using a 50% off coupon so it was $40 - it was more than I had wanted to spend but I justified that I just made $40 off the old rug so really it was free - my husband calls this funny math but I just call it Alissanomics.  I did get upholstery-grade fabric because I am hoping it will hold up longer than a lighter weight fabric.  I have 6 chairs so I bought 3 yards of 54" wide fabric.  I probably have a 1/2 yard leftover.  


There are a ton of great tutorials on the internet for how to do this yourself but I thought I would give you my easy breezy version. 


Step One:  Turn over chair.  Unscrew seat from chair frame.






Step Two:  Remove old fabric from seat.  My seat had a nice piece of black felt that covered  the raw edges of the fabric and the plywood.  I removed this and then removed the original fabric.  There were a lot of staples.  It took about 10-15 minutes per chair using a flat head screwdriver and a pair of pliers to get all the staples out.  I considered just putting the new fabric over the old, but I was concerned it would make the corners too difficult to staple down.  I was also afraid the fabric would get too bulky at the corners and then the seat would not fit nice on the frame again.  






Step Three:  Using the old fabric as a template cut out your new fabric.  



Step Four:  Place your new fabric on the table and put the seat with the wood side up on top of fabric.  Then you just have to eyeball it and play with it until you are comfortable that the pattern is straight.  If you use a plain fabric or one with an all-over pattern this is really easy.  I avoided stripes because I knew I was not skilled enough to get it straight on my own.


Once you are ready use your staple gun and staple the fabric to the wood starting at the top middle.  Then stretch it tight and do the opposite side and then do the right and left sides.  Then I just started stapling from the middle to the corner keeping my fabric tight.


When you get to the corners you just have to pull and play with the fabric until you get it to your liking.  I did refer to an old seat to see how the real upholsterer had done it originally.  The best advice I can give is to just keep it tight and don't be afraid to use a lot of staples.  




This picture shows the bottom once I was done with all four corners.




I had saved the piece of felt so I stapled that back on to hide the ugliness.  The stapling part of the process took about 15 minutes per chair.



Step Five: Screw the seat back onto the frame of the chair.



That's it.  A very easy project that really paid off.  

I also want to show you how well the chair fabric works with the rest of the room now.  This was totally unplanned but notice the diamond pattern in the fabric and now do you see the diamond pattern in the rug - yep.  Total coincidence but just pretend with me that it was a calculated design choice.  I am also really happy with how well the tone and color of both the chair and curtain fabric work with the new rug.


Now I just need to add the crown molding and paint the walls and maybe some decorative trim and paint the buffet and some new wall art and...


~ Gold Shoe Girl ~


I'm linking up...



Photobucket








1 comment:

  1. Good job. I am planning one my self so thanks for the easy to follow steps.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please leave your thoughts, ideas, questions and comments. If you enjoyed this post be sure to sign up for my feed or get posts by email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...