Anyways, for the past few months this situation has left us with backpacks and jackets being left all over the floor and hanging off kitchen chairs. This past weekend I decided to use some of my remaining antique hooks to get things under control.
I knew the drywall would not hold the hooks in place for long so we found a piece of scrap wood in the garage, measured it to fit the wall and screwed that into the studs. We did make sure to put it at a height that the kids could easily reach. Then I covered the screws with wood putty, let it dry, sanded and finally put on a quick coat of white paint. After that was all done my husband attached 7 hooks from my stash into the board.
It looks great and was quick and free solution. It sure beats the versions at Target, etc where you get 3 small hooks on a piece of wood a foot long. I think ours can stand up to generations of abuse.
Now I just hope the kids will put it to good use. Okay. I know what you are thinking. At least I will put it to good use.
Here is a close up of one of the hooks. It still has some old paint on it.
This one has a bronze copper color showing through the black.
~ Gold Shoe Girl ~