Here are the lovely 1980's beauties before...
First, I removed the print and the glass and then I used my sanding sponge to scuff up the frame.
Then I started painting with some craft paint I had on hand. I needed 3 coats to cover both frames. As I was putting it on it was not covering very smoothly so I decided that the frames were going to have to have more of a rustic look.
Once the paint was dry I added some dark walnut stain using a paper towel. Then I rubbed it off with a wet paper towel. It actually turned a sort of gray which I decided was very beachy.
After the stain dried - about 15 minutes - I added a coat of polycrylic. I did this because the paint and the stain were flat and the colors of the shells were flat so I felt the project needed a little more shine or depth.
In between paint coats I had arranged my shells and glued them on to some off-white cardstock I already had. I used a ruler to find the center of the paper for my first shell, but I eyeballed it when placing the rest which I glued down with regular craft glue.
Here's the finished product...
Here they are on the shelf in the upstairs hallway.
I think they turned out great and best of all they were free. I did this whole project just repurposing items I already had around the house.
~ Gold Shoe Girl ~