I had 2 areas in my kitchen that needed a little fixing up. I was able to transform these 2 small spaces in less than 2 hours and for less than $5.
The first project was to make the cabinet where we keep our garbage and recycling look better. Since I hate having a garbage bin out in the kitchen we keep ours in the cupboard. Well, as you can see below, when you have 3 kids and years of them not taking the time to get things directly into the can you end up with the bottom of your cabinet looking a little disgusting.
There was also an old vent on the right side of the cabinet which was from the old cooktop that vented down into the cabinet and outside. This not only let in cold air but obviously our recycling bin didn't sit nice on top of it. I finally decided today that I needed to clean up and spruce up this cabinet.
Anyways, at first I thought I was just going to paint the bottom either black or white but then I thought that would be boring and I had some left over fabric that I was using in my other kitchen project so...
...I measured and cut the fabric and I thought it looked great. The only problem was that silly vent. So I took a hammer to it. At first, I was just going to flatten it down but while I was whacking away at it the top part kinda just came off. Much better. Then I just used a little Mod Podge to adhere the fabric to the bottom of the cabinet.
Here it is with the garbage can and recycling bin back inside. I did put some polycrylic over the fabric so that it is easier to keep clean.
It puts a little smile on my face whenever I open the cabinet now - yep - I know - don't say it - I am a nerd. But just to justify a little bit - do you know how many times a day I open that cabinet? It is a lot. We have 3 kids, a dog, and 2 cats. We make a lot of garbage.
The original reason that I bought the fabric was to make a little curtain to correct a tiny little painting mistake I had made. When we painted our cupboards (check out the kitchen reveal) I thought I could just paint over the little door thing that slides up and down - you know what I mean. I wish I had a before picture but it was one of those wooden doors that slides up and down over the appliance garage. Anyways, even though I was pretty careful to not let paint harden in the crevices of the door, I guess it was just too much and we couldn't get the door to slide up and down nicely after it was painted. After a few days it just completely broke out of the track.
Making a little curtain was my inexpensive way of fixing the problem. We keep all of our bread and chips in there, and the curtain hides all that mess really nicely.
I measured the opening and then added a 1/2 inch for a hem at the bottom. I doubled the width so it would be nice and full. I finished the bottom and the sides using hem tape and left the top unfinished since it doesn't show. Then I just staple gunned the top into the inside of the cabinet starting at the middle and then adding staples wherever I wanted a little flounce. I think it turned out great. I actually like it much better than the original door.
~ Gold Shoe Girl ~