Friday, February 5, 2016

Sweet Strawberry Fields Throw Quilt

If you've been following me on Instagram you know that I finished this one a week ago.  I really, really, really love it.  It's one of those that you see it in your mind and then it turns out just how you envisioned it.  The fabrics and the pattern really work well together.

The pattern is Radiant by April Rosenthal.  I didn't really follow the pattern but used it as the design basis.  I wanted my quilt to finish larger and I didn't use charm packs to construct it.  I had bought a fat quarter bundle and some yardage of Fig Tree & Company's Strawberry Fields Revisited so I wanted to make use of it for this quilt.

It's a basic HST (half-square triangle) pattern.  And it just shows off the fabrics so nicely.  My version finished at approximately 62 x 62 - just right for a nice throw.  It took me a little bit of time to put together but only because I'm so fussy about not repeating fabrics and making sure that the same prints don't touch each other or are too close to each other.  I want it to look totally random even if I'm being all anal about it and it's really not random at all.

Each block has 16 HSTs so I used 16 different fabrics from the collection.  

I am so smitten (does anyone really say that or just in movies) with this fabric that I may have to buy another bundle.  I would really like to do the Strawberry Social pattern by The Pattern Basket in these fabrics.  And use the sweet strawberry print for the back.  I think it would turn out so awesome.  Maybe someone will get me a gc to the fabric store for Valentine's Day - hint, hint.  

For the back I used the red floral with the off-white background.  I also used an off-white Kona for the background on the front.  I quilted it in straight lines criss-crossing each HST block.  And of course, I machine stitched on the binding.  

It's just so pretty I almost can't bear to give it up - but I can't keep them all.  So this wonderful quilt is listed in my etsy shop if you're interested.

In the meantime I've finished 2 more baby quilts that I'll share soon.  One is from Tasha Noel's Country Girls collection and the other is from more of the Strawberry Fields Revisited.  

~ Gold Shoe Girl ~

Linking up...

Finish It Up Friday @ crazymomquilts

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Snug As A Bug Toddler Quilt

This was a sweet little project that I finished recently.  It's my own design done to highlight the adorable creatures found in the Bugsy collection of fabrics by Kids Quilts for RJR Fabrics.  I thought the applique saying was kinda clever.

The top and bottom sections are done in patchwork squares - some fussy cut to highlight those wonderful butterflies.  The middle was raw edge applique.  

Each letter is a different print from the collection and the background for the applique section is also a print.  It's a swirly dotty floral print on a creamy background.

I quilted the patchwork squares crisscross and then did swirly loops around the applique.  

Of course it has a matching pink binding that I machine stitched on.  

Here's a close up of the prints in this line.  Cute little snails and caterpillars, flowers and butterflies.  It's definitely a girly quilt.

This sweet baby/toddler girl quilt is available in my etsy shop for sale.  The nice thing about making baby size quilts is that I am never really tempted to keep them.  I love just being creative and then passing them on to be enjoyed by others.

~ Gold Shoe Girl ~

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Rustic Blush Throw Quilt

I've been on a sewing tear lately.  Maybe it helps that a few of my finishes were actually UFOs that I started this summer and just now got back on my radar.  This was exactly the case for this quilt.

It's made from Verna Mosquera's Rustic Blush collection.  I bought it late last spring, made piles of half-square triangle over the summer and just pieced it together last week.  Originally, I was going to just do all pinwheel blocks but then I thought I'd see how it turned out with a little twist so I did half pinwheels and half in these other arrangements.

I'm sure there's an official quilty name for those other blocks so I'd love if someone let me know.

 I used every last bit of the fat quarter bundle I purchased and this ended up at 52 x 52 inches - a decent sized throw quilt.

These fabrics are so pretty.  I imagine this would look fabulous draped on a chair in the corner of someone's sunroom just beckoning you to cozy up with a nice book.

I quilted this one all in the ditch - up and down all the squares and then diagonal along the pinwheels.  It makes for a nice clean and simple pattern on the back.

The back and the binding are made from the floral tan and white which is nice and neutral.

I had a few blocks left over so I turned them into a pillow.   Quilted on the front and smooth on the back.  Lately, I've only been making pillow covers not finished pillows, but this was finishing up at a size that doesn't fit a standard insert.  So instead of adding a border or such I just stuffed it full and topstitched the edge closed.  

Both the quilt and the pillow are available for sale in my etsy shop.

Now I've already started another throw quilt out of my brand new Strawberry Fields Revisited bundle.  This was the first bundle I had bought in forever and I knew I'd like it but now I like it so much I wish I had gotten more. I'm posting pictures almost daily over on my Instagram so check out my progress on my new projects there.

~ Gold Shoe Girl ~

Linking up with these great gals...

Finish It Up Friday @ crazy mom quilts
Needle and Thread Thursday
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...